Sunday, May 13, 2012

Getting To Germany!

{This post is sooooo late, sorry! I was supposed to post it like 2 weeks ago}
Hallo!


So, I’ve been in Germany now for a little over 2 weeks and talk about ‘hitting the ground running’!  I have been meaning to update my blog with a post talking about all that was going on here but I literally did not have a single second to sit and type.  My first two weeks here have been quite awesome to say the least.
Lets see, where do I begin??

Getting To Germany:

The flight to Germany wasn’t bad at all.  Thanks to my non-stop packing through the middle of the night and the lack of sleep my procrastination caused, as soon as I sat on my British Airways plane to London (layover destination) my eyes were shut for 6.5 of the 9-hour flight.  By the time I woke up, had a little food, and put on a movie we were already getting ready for our descend into the United Kingdom. Perfect.  I was a bit nervous about flying that far because I did not know who in the hell I would get stuck sitting next to or even worse, in between.  Luckily I had an isle seat next to a mid-sized lady who was with her husband so she usually was leaning toward his way, leaving me ample armrest room. Awesome.  Although this was my first time going to Germany, it was not my first time taking this exact 9-hour flight from Houston to London.  In 2011 I took a trip to Nice, France with a beautiful friend of mine to see Sade’ in concert and we had to fly through London first so I was a bit prepared for the flight.  Once I arrived in London at 8am, I felt like a veteran in my flying experience because I was familiar with the huge Heathrow London airport.  I went to my usual Starbucks near the Gucci and Louie V store to have a breakfast croissant and Iced Vanilla Latte. “Like a Bawse!”  After a little over an hour wait, I boarded my next flight from London to Hamburg, Germany which was a short 2 hour flight and I enjoyed the luxury of my own row of seats.  Again, “Bawse!” Haha.
Once I arrived in Hamburg, I realized that one of my teammates was also on the same flight from London. It was not hard to tell this because he was the only other black person on the flight. Haha.  We soon found our luggage at baggage claim and after a short walk around the airport, found two other black people who turned out to be another teammate and our head coach, Coach Esume.  I immediately felt at ease once I was in the company of my teammates and coach because I had suddenly realized that I was veeeery far from home and that I would remain this far for the next 7 months.  From Hamburg we had to travel about an hour North on the autobahn to our home in Kiel, Germany which is located just off the Baltic Sea (hence the name of our team, Kiel Baltic Hurricanes).  Leading up to the trip I kept hearing about the “Autobahn” which is the freeway here in Germany that has NO speed limit! I was definitely looking forward to burning some rubber on this famous ‘no-limit’ highway.  My coach opened it up a little bit on the autobahn but I think he wanted us to be in Germany more than a couple hours before he really put the pedal to the medal.  Although we were not going 220 on the autobahn, others definitely were and it was quite apparent as they zooooomed by us over and over. Now my need for speed on the autobahn had surged!
We finally make it to our home for the next 7 months and “wow” was my first reaction when I saw the 5 story villa.  It is huge and sits right on the corner of a small intersection and I am already envisioning the fun that will take place at this address. Haha.  Once I get into the house we are all greeted by members of the “Green Pride” fan club who have worked diligently to set up the house and our individual rooms. They are the first authentic “germans” that I have come into contact with and I must say that I was a bit impressed with their English.  Although their English sounded a little funny with the german accent, I was glad they could speak it! I was told that my room was on the top floor of the 5 story villa and as I drag in my two huge suitcases I immediately ask “So where is the elevator located?”.
One of the green pride members looked at me as though I was speaking Japanese and directed me to the steep and daunting staircase.  Although I did not want to carry my bags up the stairs 5 flights, I couldn’t show weakness on the very first day! Haha. After I make it up the stairs I reach a door that has a sign on it “Mike Tauiliili” and now it was the moment of truth! Months before arriving in Germany I was creating pictures in my head of what my living accommodations would be and they were not always grand!  Anyhow, now I am walking in my room and boy was I surprised! I immediately thought to myself “Oh hell yeeaaaaa” haha.  The room was very spacious and with an area for the bed, a separate area for a small dinning/desk area and a good sized living room area.  I was thoroughly impressed, given my fear of having a closet sized room (I hear that is normal for European countries)! So I start to get settled in my room and I’m thinking of all the great things that will happen in this room. The potential this house and my room has for some great parties and gatherings. Although im a couple thousands of miles away, it wont stop me from getting a party started like I do where I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an open blog, please be respectful in your comments!